It is easy to get into social media. It is difficult to succeed.
Social media marketing is by far one of the most important fields one can get into these days. If you understand social platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, this just might be the gig for you!
Let’s make a list. What do you need to start off as a social media marketer:
- A Laptop
- A wifi connection
- Knowledge of internet marketing
It is easy to get all of these. Any college kid can start off a career as a social media marketer. And that is the problem. An industry with a low barrier of entry.
There are obviously a ton of ways to start your own social media marketing agency. Here are some that I find to be the best ways to go forward:
- Intern at an Agency: This is by far the best one. I myself worked at two agencies in Delhi to understand what the work actually requires. Running campaigns for clients require a ton of skill and knowledge. Client handling, creative management, media buying and most importantly, achieving results. This can give you the right mindset and a good network.
- Self-learn: There are a lot of free resources out there. YouTube is the biggest source of knowledge in this field. One can learn anything about running social media ads here. Apart from that, one can also learn from LinkedIn and Facebook groups. Learn and Implement.
- Freelance: Stop procrastinating and start taking up projects. I will be honest, the market for freelancers is highly cluttered. But this makes one gauge the market.
Anyone who is working as a social media marketer goes through these phases for sure.
Some advice I would like to add to this pathway:
- Don’t enrol for online courses: There are a ton of online courses out there. Some are pure gold. Namely, Grow Your Agency and Billy Gene’s courses
- Don’t go to acquire client’s without knowledge: I myself made this mistake. There is a notion out there that the first few clients are just for practice. Stay away from this mentality. You are handling the marketing of someone’s business. Take it very seriously.
- Don’t listen to everybody: A bane of social media is anyone can pose as a fake guru. There are a ton of opinions out there. As an entrepreneur one obviously needs mentors. So be picky who you listen to. Tim Ferris in his renowned book ‘The Four Hour Work Week’ talks about the importance of being selective about the knowledge one takes in!
- Not focusing on sales: This is the most important aspect. Business runs on profits. So when all the investment you need is wifi and a laptop, everything is profit. Respect that.
- Don’t just focus on one skill: When it comes to social media marketing, one requires to know copywriting, creating videos, finding virtual assistants etc. There are so many skills one needs to have in order to build a business around social media.
- Differentiate Yourself: This is a service that anyone can start. So, how are you different from thousands of other social media marketers? You need to figure that out as you go deeper into your business.
If you follow these basics you can find yourself doing well enough for yourself as a social media guy!